Thursday, April 19, 2012

Combatting Weak and Peeling Nails

I've had a problem with my nails breaking and peeling for a long time. I've tried many products that claim to help and so far haven't really found anything that has. That was, until now. More on that in a minute.

The very first thing I ever tried was Sally Hansen Miracle Cure. This was years ago. I didn't like it. It promised results in 3 days but I didn't notice a change until I used it for a few weeks. It helped with the peelies but my nails weren't strong. My nails still broke and chipped for the dumbest things, like running my fingers through my hair.  It also dried so slow. It kept getting smudged and considering I used that as a base coat, that would just be Eww.

In search of other alternatives, I have tried expensive treatments and cheap treatments. Nail Envy by OPI was probably the most expensive. It was $17 if I remember correctly. That did nothing for me. I know it has worked miracles for some people, but not me :(. Yes I followed the instructions completely. In hindsight I wish I would have bought the formula for weak and brittle nails, but for $17 a bottle, I don't want to buy something else and risk the chance of it not working. The cheapest one I've used so far was Nail Aid Extreme Steel Hardener. I found it at Ross for $2.99. That actually worked for making my nails grow faster but still did nothing for strength and peeling.

So now I have been using Nail Magic Nail Hardener after reading reviews on Makeup Alley. I bought it at Sally's for about $8. I read reviews that it was kind of irritating and has caused pain in some users. I have been using it for two weeks now and have not had a problem with it. I can totally tell that my nails have gotten stronger. The peelies have stopped. My nails have grown a lot faster too. They look very healthy and I am so happy about this. Also I'm not sure if this also helped or not but I stopped using pure acetone. I buy the cheap $1 "strengthening" nail polish remover and use that all the time now. Even for glitter removal. It takes a little longer to remove glitter but it works so I don't plan on using anything else. Basically my routine now is a base coat of Nail Magic, 2-3 layers of polish (depending on the polish) and top coat (either Seche or Poshe). 

Look how purty they are!
 Hopefully after I post this, my nails don't break. LOL because you know that's probably what will happen. 

So this isn't a commerical for Nail Magic. I am just trying to spread the love and am happy in finding something that works for my nails. Hopefully this works for others also that have the same problem that I do. If not, leave a comment and tell us what works for your nails!

Thanks for reading.


1 comment:

  1. Breaking right after posting about them is exactly how this blogging this works! I'm glad you found something that works for your nails.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...